Thimphu is the capital of Bhutan and the largest city in the whole kingdom.The city is located in the heart of the Wang Valley and is the most happening place in the whole of the country. All the head offices of the various government ministries and agencies are located here.It is often said that Thimphu is the only world capital without traffic lights. One was installed several years ago, but the residents complained that it was impersonal and ugly and it was removed within days. Traffic continues to be directed by policemen stationed at two traffic circles, one at the north end and another near the south end of Norzin Lam, Thimphu’s wide, tree-lined main street. They keep Thimphu’s traffic flowing throughout the day using elegant, exaggerated gestures. They disappear at night and leave drivers to sort things out for themselves.
Tashichhodzong, which is located in Thimphu and which translated from Dzongkha means the "the fortress of the auspicious religion" is one of the most important government and monastic buildings and forts or dzongs in Bhutan. Tashichhodzong was built in 1641 by the founder of Bhutan--Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal. This immense fortress was rebuilt in 1962, by the third king of Bhutan, His Majesty, King Jigme Dorji Wangchuk.
Unlike most other dzongs, Trashicho dzong has two main entrances. One leads to the administrative section to the south, and another at the north leads to the monastic quarter where the dances of the annual tsechu festival are performed. The dzong’s Sangay Tsokhorsum Thondrol depicts the Buddha Sakyamuni and his two disciples.